• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Abdopus eggs !!! Help

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
It is unusual for the mother to die before the eggs hatch but the timing is usually close (often within a day). The eggs should be very close to hatching. There have been several successes with hatching large egg species (but no longevity) so you might as well give it a try. I've not done this so best guess an what I can recall from reading is the best I can offer.

With my one successful hatching of squid eggs, I pinned the cluster to a plastic bubble wrap and put them in the flow of my return. The next two batches that did not hatch did not have the direct flow and started getting coated with algae. The abandoned eggs from Cassy were in flow but in front of the tank and in light. They could have been infertile but they never matured and split open. I don't think anything bothered them but the rough rock may have been too abrasive.

So, with those thoughts I would suggest moving the eggs/egg rock to where you can see it but they are not exposed to light (even turn the light off if you don't have anything in there that needs it but still keep them as dark as you can manage and still monitor) and most importantly not exposed to any clean up crew. Place them where they will be moving, not rubbing on something and not detached in some kind of water flow. Alternately, add waterflow to where they are now so that you can see them gently moving but if there is anything in the tank that will eat them, it will.

octo..

O. bimaculoides
Registered
There is a gelatinous thing growing on the eggs it is transparent and it was always there on half of them, now its spreading over all the eggs and onto the roof of the cave.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I am curious as to what it might be but it should definitely NOT be there. The female keeps the eggs individually clean and free of any kind of algae or coating. I think (not something I recorded unfortunately) that when my squid eggs started to deteriorate they may have looked like what you are describing.

octo..

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Ok I am positive that the eggs are dead they are covered in this toothpaste like thing it is hard and very white. I think that I will try and take them out today or tomorrow. There are also some little red worms that came on the live rock in that tank do you think that the worms laid eggs on the eggs?

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
those red worms are brissle worms, i have no idea about them laying eggs, but I think they may eat the eggs. In the past brissles were thought to be a huge problem, but as of recent they are become more accepted as part of the clean up crew, However I'm not sure what they would do with eggs my thought is they would eat them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak