• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Abdopus aculeatus

rudy

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Now that I know what I have, I would love to hear about others with them. Size, personality, do they ever do that cool walking on two leg thing?

Mine is in my 75 so I am also wondering if that tank is o.k. for it and I guess what iother items (expendable items I could put in there eventually).

Thanks in advance!

pics

I have a ton of vids as well. This guy is not tough to photograph!!!

Attachments

• conv_290064.jpg
    conv_290064.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • conv_290065.jpg
    conv_290065.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • conv_290066.jpg
    conv_290066.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
well the chinese restaurant told me they had it for 3/4 months after they got it from a pet store (that i also believe to be asian). i had it 1 month. i think i didn't have my tank cycled just yet, which is weird because i added cheap fin fish to spike the ammonia - thus getting the process going. also, i own an urchin i've had in there for 1 1/2 months and they're picky about water quality yet it's lived and looks fine (hasn't lost any spines).

octos are super sensitive and i think maybe the nitrate level did it in. i'm hypothesizing that the good bacteria hasn't been established enough to neutralize the nitrate levels. i did water changes since the octo produced alot of waste, and even added AmQuel (ammonia/nitrate remover) but still my nitrate levels were high. ammonia was always .25 and could never seem to get a 0 level.

anyone who plans on keeping octos i'd say do frequent water changes, but it's a double-edge sword because you don't wanna remove the good bacteria by removing too much water too frequently!

Just make sure the cycle is complete. Doing water changes or adding chemicals to remove ammonia during the cycle is only going to make the cycle take longer, thus defeating the purpose. The bacteria you want to keep is going to be in the filtration material, not the water column.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back