A Strange Photograph

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Noah Baumbach's film "The Squid and the Whale" has complicated image searches a litttle bit, but if you can wade through all the pictures of Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney there are still oddities to be found. Like this:

Aerial Photo of Giant Squid(s)?

The photo caption reads: "Two whales (or is it one whale and a giant squid?)" The image is part of a slideshow, and was apparently one of a series taken in July of 2003 during an overflight of the waters around Ningaloo Reef, Australia. For a detailed overview of the Ningaloo environment, click here.

Given how difficult it is to distinguish between, say, an aerial photograph of a mobile bio-weapons laboratory and an abandoned trailer, I don't dare guess what this is a photograph of, but I must say that there is something very squiddy about it, even if it's only a superficial resemblance. A boy can dream.

Happy Holidays.

Cheers,
Clem

tonmo said:
I stared at that picture for a long time.

That is all.
Hello Tony,

It's an hypnotic picture isn't it? If only I could force my brain to see "whale" instead of "two spawned-out and/or trawled giant squid floating at the surface with fanned arms and mantles and tails hanging below the surface."

That is all.

Clem

The left figure (Presumed Squid) seems to have its mantle missing, but the location where the mantle should be has this werid shadow thing. If it's a squid, then is the mantle just deeper than the arms (ammonia thing?) or is that something else?

The right figure (Also presumed squid) is even more intriguing as the mantle's color and arms do not match, if they were trawled, then the mantle and the head should both be bout the same color or do dying/dead squids lose their skin on the mantle first? And the fin is kinda werid, it looks more like a triangular cone shape rather than two fins, with the mantle looking too straight to be a dead/dying squid's body.

So..any thoughts?

Clem said:
It's an hypnotic picture isn't it?
It absolutely is. It does appear to be two squid on a romantic cruise... or to Chrono's point, being so near the surface would likely be dead or dying... but if they were in that state, they wouldn't likely seem so chummy, would they? (Well, I guess they are kind of chummy, depending on which definition you're using...) :smile:

Very interesting picture. I really can't make out a whale shape at all though.

The beast(?) on the right appears to have some form of ring around the mantle rather than a pair of fins. Obviously that's impossible for a squid, maybe it's a trick of the light?

Really couldn't guess at this one.

Attachments

• conv_288625.jpg
    conv_288625.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 79
I gotta say I cant make out diddly squat :biggrin2: Did anyone ID them at the time or where they just geussing?

Clem said:
Given how difficult it is to distinguish between, say, an aerial photograph of a mobile bio-weapons laboratory....
so thats where Saddams been hiding those damn things all this time. :lol:

Interesting. They look more like Aurora's underwater...where are the compression cones?

Regardless of latitude, I would place most of my life's savings on Southern Right Whale, mother and calf, the latter distinguished by its (juvenile) lighter colouring. "Tentacles" are merely their frothy wake, OK, spoilsport, sorry, It's obviously two hitherto unknown Cryptoteuthis griseus (Blaauw, 2005) specimens :smile:

ob said:
Regardless of latitude, I would place most of my life's savings on Southern Right Whale, mother and calf, the latter distinguished by its (juvenile) lighter colouring. "Tentacles" are merely their frothy wake
Hello OB,

Interesting idea, but you'd expect the wakes to be, well, in their wakes, i.e. next to what appear to be these objects' "tails." Unless...mother and calf (if that's what we're looking at) ascended vertically, executed partial breaches and then slid back and down on their tails, leaving frothy head-prints on the surface.

Perhaps Greg is right, and it's just a pair of hypersonic spy planes playing splashy-splashy.

Cheers,
Clem

For comparison, whatch the frothy "tentacles" in the left thumbnail and the grey vs. black colour difference in the right one... You can actually make out the front callosities on our left hand mystery "squid", although resolution is quite poor. The latter probably accounts for the (suggested) wakes to be able hide the (suggested) whales' flukes from sight.

Olaf "Mythbuster" Blaauw

Hmmm.

Ningaloo is host to sperm whales, humpbacks, the odd blue whale, whale sharks, seals and various dolphins. Also: dugongs. I haven't caught any references to basking sharks; their inflated gills (puffed out for filter-feeding) might explain what looks like a strong demarcation line near the pointy end, which I've taken for a distinct tail. A basking shark ID might also explain the "arms," if the sharks' dorsal and/or upper caudal fins were breaking the surface: the current and wind flowing past the exposed fin tips might create such wakes.

These objects look purplish in color to me.

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back