A sobering question...

or maby freez me and throw me in the ocean just so my body washes up an shour and scares ecery one ha ha :lol: :lol: just kidding I might be frozen so later in the futuer they can bring me back to life

Bit of a grim story this, but worth a tale or two. This is absolutely true as it happened to an aquaintance of an old friend of mine.

Many years ago in the early nineties when I was working as an archaeologist, one of my colleagues in London told me that a couple of years earlier he had been working on a Victorian cemetary site in another area of London. Back then richer people tended to be buried in lead coffins. If very well made the lid of the coffin could form a perfect seal with the lower half, this means that gasses from the decomposition of the body can be trapped within the coffin and unable to escape, or the body itself able to dissolve into the soil.

Anyway, during the excavation of the cemetary one of the workers was hammering the ground with his mattock and hit the lid of one of these lead coffins that lay just under the surface and couldn't be seen. The pressure burst in the coffin and he got showered with a splurt of gasses and liquid human remains. He was rushed taken to hospital for a number of jabs and anti-biotics.

In another cemetary my ex-boss worked on the humidity and temperature conditions were quite different and the decomposition effects on the corpses was also quite different. Instead of liquifying the bodies became somewhat dried out and mummified. He told me that just before lunch they had hauled a lead coffin out of the ground and propped it up vertically by the site hut with the lid removed. After coming back from lunch, doubtless at the local pub, the body had slid out and was lying on the ground. It was covered in flies, the thing being so ripe for putrifaction, and one could literally see the body turning green in front of their eyes.

Nice....they never show this sort of thing on 'Time Team'.

Phil said:
After coming back from ... the local pub, the body had slid out and was lying on the ground.

Crazy besotted Victorian zombies. Kinda reminds me of my own situation last Friday night...

It was covered in flies, the thing being so ripe for putrifaction, and one could literally see the body turning green in front of their eyes.

Yes, and that was exactly like Saturday morning.

I want my ashes to become part of a coral reef somwhere. it's by no means cheap, I guess bankrupcy is an option...when your dead. But I haven't met Steve O'Shea yet, so I'm not goin' anywhere!!!!

It might also be nice to have my corpse get passed along from person to person, all over the world, for various photos in front of famous attractions! It might be more comical without any preservative measures taken, or if I could be rigged to pop up from behind objects unexpectedly to scare tourists. Just for laughs.

Rona said:
But I haven't met Steve O'Shea yet, so I'm not goin' anywhere!!!!

Heavens, Rona. Please don't go anywhere, yet.

I'd not checked this thread out before ... got a wee shock to see what it was all about. Morbid indeed.

Years ago I'd have said I'd have wanted to be preserved in my collection of marine invertebrates, keeping a watchful eye over museum collections I'd laboured over and developed for quite a few years. Then a very dear friend died, was cremated, and had his ashes spread through one of our favourite dive spots. A rather weird thing happened ~ 6 months ago, almost to the day, 10 years to the day after the death, and I'd gone for a dive with TTF in that very spot (that I hadn't visited since his death) - and the entire thing was unplanned.

I'd always needed a place to go and talk to him, so did so anywhere and anytime I had chosen to. Nevertheless, I'd still wanted a site where I could go and visit him physically, and being cremated I felt deprived of that opportunity. It was tough (and still is).

I'm afraid that cremation is out of the question for me. I don't want to be spread about by the oceans, agitated here and there, of no fixed abode, even though I'm happy out there. I'd actually like to rest, and would sooner be buried. Sure thing in years to come I'll be moved from my resting place (given competing demands on space), but I'll be right there, easy to locate, should anyone ever want to come and chat to me. It's important for the living, and I think I'll be listening in, as there are a few people out there that I'd like to keep in touch with.

Hmmmm. Heavy stuff.

To sea or to be buried....hmmm always said the sea but if this wasnt possible have to be buried.... I would haunt those that had me cremated if i was....too scary seein James Bond in that coffin with all the flames!!!

That would be in Diamonds Are Forever. There are repeated coffin/funereal references in the Bond films that weren't in the original Ian Fleming novels. Producer Albert R.Broccoli had been an undertaker's assistant earlier in his life and it showed in the films.

After various fantastical ideas I've posted here, and then reading the post above by :oshea: , I'll be serious for a moment and mention that I would like to be buried in a lovely cemetery quite close to where I live right now. It's a place that both Rebecca and I enjoy visiting, with a pond, beautiful mausoleums, and a lot of history.

I know this is just a random poll but I think i would go the Heinlein route. his ashes were scattered at sea but there is a movement to place a jar of seawater-- with his name written on a used oxy cannister tag (read REQUIEM)-- on the moon for him.

I want to be buried at sea, bugger the cremation, I'm going to be part of the food-web. I want to be tasty fish (or ceph)-food. I shall live on through the animals that digest me...

Not me...I plan on being encrypted and ressurected as an all powerful Lich in two or three hundred years (when the stars are right).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back