• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

a little question ?

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hi there it was a long time ago since i was here and now im back for a little question, still i got thise problem to choose an octopus beacuse i cant decide witch one i want:confused:.One day i want a cuttlefish and the onther day i want a o.vulgaris or a o.hummelincki or even a bimac. So the thats the biggest problem beacuse if i cant decide witch one i want i cant set up a tank , if im right its a little diffrence between a cuttle tank and those others i just named so pls help me with thise little deciding problem:roll:./ david

ps: im sorry if it is hard to read what i just wrote im frome sweden and im not so good to spell in english :oops:

Generally octopuses require a slightly larger tank. (around 55g seems to be ideal for most, but o. vulgaris requires 125 gal. or larger). Also octopuses cant be kept with other octopuses, like cuttlefish can. I've never had a cuttlefish but from what i've read it seems that you can actively interact with an octopus much more than with a cuttlefish, and they seem to be more willing to play and at times even let you rub their mantle. Personally i would pick an octopus, but like i've said ive never had a cuttlefish. I feel that cuttlefish are probably better in terms of how they look and being able to observe them; but if you prefer something that you can be more attached to and is more like a "pet" then i would go with an octopus. Hopefully some cuttlefish keepers can chime in, since im sure there's a lot of positive things that i missed.

We've had quite a few very happy cuttlefish keepers. In terms of the most complete journals about her experiences with them, I think Cuttlegirls's are the best (sorry guys!) I'm trying to find them for you, but if anybody else knows where they are please post them. She also has some great pictures, including pictures of the cuttles being stroked by her children. Her female laid lots of eggs, and continued to live for quite a long time (3 months??) after the first eggs., which you certainly wouldn't get with an octopus. Don't worry about not being a great speller in English. I can't spell anything in Swedish! We have a lot of readers and occasional posters from other countries, and not all of them have great English.

Here is the thread with most of my cuttlefish experience.

WC bandensis eggs!

Once the cuttlefish were larger, I was able to interact with them any time I was near the tank. Because I had three, I was able to watch them interact with each other. Sometimes the males were displaying at each other (and fighting...), sometimes the males were mating with the female and I got to watch the female lay her eggs. Until they were near death, they did not change their behavior. As they became older, they became more interactive with humans. My daughters were able to pet their mantles and each cuttlefish had a distinct personality.

it sounds that boths of those are great,and as i said before its hard for me to decide :P beacuse both of them seems to be good at diffrent things, but when i come to think of thise why should i need to decide why cant i just pick one and then if i want to try somthing new then i just pick the other one, that sounds good i think ? :P Is the smartest thing to do then buy an octopus tank beacuse they are pretty large, so if i later in life want a cuttle i allredy got a good setup? So if im going for an octopus then the question is witch one hehe an other problem. I have read alot about the bimacs and they sound to be an very good octopet, but when i search about hummelnicki or the acuelatus there isn`t so mutch info about them.i have also heard that its hard to get a bimac right now is that true ?

And ofcourse i live in sweden so i dont really know if i even can get an bimac transfered here the only octopus i really know that can get here is the vulgaris but i dont want a to big octopus so im not so sure that i want a vulgaris.

There is one more thing here in sweden we say liter instead of gal so i dont really know how mutch liter 50 gal is ?

55 gallons equals 209 liters. You should definitely plan on getting a system large enough for a bimac or hummelincki. Either would require a 55 gallon system. One of the major differences will be in water temperature. Hummelinckis are from warm waters and bimacs need cooler water, so either a heater or a cooler might be essential. by the time you get your system up and properly cycled the availability of either one might have changed, and living in Europe it might be easier for you to get cuttlefish. A lot of our members have posted detailed descriptions usually with pictures, of their systems. Study those, it can help you set up a good system and avoid expensive mistakes.

That sounds very good sorseress and smart, i will definitely do that. Can you link me some of the system you talked about tryied to find some but I could not found any :S my second question is who of those two got the longest lifespan ? ofcourse i want a long lived octopus, but I have just heard that most of them can live up to 1 - and mabye mabye to 2 years old is that right ?

I also want to say that I appreciate all your help =) thanks for everything guys

still no one who knows witch temprature the bimac and the hummelnicki needs? and can a hummelincki have a 50 gal tank or those it need a bigge r ?

Sorry blackis, likely everyone else was as lazy as I was and didn't take the time for the translation. Bimac should be kept between 19 and 21 C (67-70 F) and hummelincki between 22 and 24 C (72-75 F). Bimac can tollerate 22 C and Hummelincki 25 C (78 F) but the lower temperatures seem to be better than the higher ones for longevity.

Hummelincki will do well in a 50 GALLON (208 liter), they are somewhat smaller than a bimac. They are my favorite for interaction with humans but obtaining one may be difficult.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back