a hello and a quick question from a curious australian

adamdmills

Hatchling
Registered
hi. i'm new. the name's adam. hi.

the more i read about all you guys and your 'octopets', the more convinced i am in desperate need of my own. for quite a while i've been maintaining a tropical aquarium and was about to make the step from freshwater to salt - now i think i'm just going to make the jump from fish to an octopus.

problem is, it would appear that very few (if any) sydney aquariums stock cephalopods. i'm not adverse to getting one from the wild, but as has been said many times here, that makes it hard to know things like age, species, etc.

i was hoping some of the australians here could help me: if i was to, say, catch myself a little octo off the south coast of nsw, what are the chances that it will be easy to keep in captivity? are we talking a heated tank, or a chilled one?

and is it even legal for me to do this? i kind of assume that if no-one is selling octopuses as pets, then perhaps it's illegal to keep them as such.

any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Re: a hello and a quick question from a curious australian

adamdmills said:
hi. i'm new. the name's adam. hi.

and is it even legal for me to do this? i kind of assume that if no-one is selling octopuses as pets, then perhaps it's illegal to keep them as such.

any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

I was under the impression that it was illegal to take almost anything from Australian waters and keep them. I base this assumption on the fact that a friend couldn't catch salt water fish for his tank...

KRin, here in Melbourne.

Yeah, the laws are kind of strict down under...bad up here too, but not quite as much !
greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back