• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

a Gloomy start to 2012

haggs

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
As I expected, she has moved on and I was unable to locate the new den. I did find another but that one will also move because where it was hiding was above the low tide level. This one was twice the size and it too didn't want anything to do with me or the mussel it was offered. Just before I left the rock pool I came across a grey faced eel, then it was back to the headland to see if the other octopus and banded shrimp were still there.

There was no sign of the octopus but the banded shrimp had stayed in the same place. I spent half an hour looking to see if I could find where it had gone to but all I found was a snowflake eel. Maybe when the holidays are over one might decide to settle into one of the regular haunts.

Attachments

hmmmm, you think the snowflake eel has something to do with the disappearance of the Octopus? Pairing a Snowflake eel and Octopus in the same tank is the equivalence of dropping two wrestlers in a re-enforced steel cage for a grudge match

haggs

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Yes it would have been a problem in a tank, but where these are I doubt it very much. The distance between the grey eel and the youngest octopus(1) would have been 5mtrs, there could have been a chance meeting. This pool is not all that big, but I think it would have meet the larger octopus(3) as it was just over 1mtr away.

The snowflake eel would have been 8 or 9 mtrs away from the octopus(2) but that pool is rather large, so my guess it was disturbed by too many swimmers.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I never attempted to interact with my bandids. King Cong ruled the 140 for several years but it is so deep I could not try to hand feed it. Interesting that you can get one to interact in the wild. Have you tried offering it a piece of food?

The eels worry me too but I seemed to recall that there was a snowflake there with one of the other "situ"s. The little octo worries me the most but I still don't know if it could get more than an arm.

haggs

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Well it's been just over a month since my last swim, during this time we have had another flood, with just over 53cm of rain falling. Needless to say the water has been thicker and darker than pea soup. Last Sunday afternoon I went down to the headland, the ocean was still quite "stirred up", I hopped into the 25degree water to try and cool off from the 31 degree outside temperature. So much sand has been washed into the rock pools where the banded shrimp was living, it was forced to move as it's little cave was now buried by close to half a metre of sand. It was so disappointing not to find any sign of any of the octopus that I was hoping to find. I can only hope that things will change again soon.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catifshconnoisseur

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak