A few questions on giant squids

I just heard about the giant squid being caught on camera (Very Cool) and was wondering if anyone has tried to repeat this since then. Is it palsable that a tracking device could be attched if another one is caught? Lastly, is there anywhere on the net that I can see the moive tape of giant getting caught for free?

Thanks for Help

Hi Ace...
Unfortunately there's no video footage, but there are about 550 still shots, so you can get a pretty good freeze-frame idea of the escape. The news itself is discussed midway through this thread, starting on about Page 5. There are definitely plans to repeat this soon (although no one has done it since). Regarding attaching a tag, logistical suggestions are welcome. :wink:

More Quistions

I was reading on the fact sheets that sprem whales in the antartic are thought to primarly feed on the large spices of squid that live there. Has anyone ever tried to place tracking devices (or maybe a camera) on the whales and follow it to the location one of these squid? This seems logical to me but way too easiy never to have been tried or maybe I have just watched too many sic fi moives where this would be considered easy. Also, what do sprem whales have that humans lack? These whales seen to be able to find giant squid eaily enough why can't we?

ace1422001 said:
I was reading on the fact sheets that sprem whales in the antartic are thought to primarly feed on the large spices of squid that live there. Has anyone ever tried to place tracking devices (or maybe a camera) on the whales and follow it to the location one of these squid? This seems logical to me but way too easiy never to have been tried or maybe I have just watched too many sic fi moives where this would be considered easy. Also, what do sprem whales have that humans lack? These whales seen to be able to find giant squid eaily enough why can't we?

I think Clyde Roper tried this a few years back, without success. Here's an old article on it: http://www.si.edu/opa/InsideResearch/9684/9684squi.htm

google can probably ferret out the results: no squids seen.

Graeme said:
Are Architeuthis dux's mantles "solid" enough to allow tags to be fitted?

Graeme

some tags have been placed whithin the mantle cavity of many species of cephs (see the work of Ron O'Dor) . Not only they can give you a position but also can provide data on jet pressure when swimming, which can be converted into oxygen consumption and give you good data on their energetics in their natural environment! quite amazing!

The problem with archie or messie i guess would be to catch them alive without damaging it, then keep them alive and try placing the tag on them while they are trying to go back in the water :bugout: quite difficult I would guess. UNless you anaesthetize them...

Wish we were at that stage!

eups

Euprymna said:
some tags have been placed whithin the mantle cavity of many species of cephs (see the work of Ron O'Dor) . Not only they can give you a position but also can provide data on jet pressure when swimming, which can be converted into oxygen consumption and give you good data on their energetics in their natural environment! quite amazing!

The problem with archie or messie i guess would be to catch them alive without damaging it, then keep them alive and try placing the tag on them while they are trying to go back in the water :bugout: quite difficult I would guess. UNless you anaesthetize them...

eups

William Gilly talked about his progress doing this sort of thing with humboldts at TONMOcon, as well. Bu they're pretty beefy squids, so there's no problem finding a good place for the sensors, and they're routinely caught by fisherman, so there are both opportunities to tag and people who are happy to be paid to bring the recovered tags back... I'd think that even Architeuthis is not so flabby that it would have problems with tags, though, although some of the gelatinous cephs might be more problematic...

monty said:
William Gilly talked about his progress doing this sort of thing with humboldts at TONMOcon, as well. Bu they're pretty beefy squids, so there's no problem finding a good place for the sensors, and they're routinely caught by fisherman, so there are both opportunities to tag and people who are happy to be paid to bring the recovered tags back... I'd think that even Architeuthis is not so flabby that it would have problems with tags, though, although some of the gelatinous cephs might be more problematic...

Also I guess it would be problematic to do some telemetry study with those mesopelagic gelatinous cephs since you will have to release them to their respective depth and could not throw them at the surface and expect them to go down and behave naturally. Anyway, their chance of being eaten on the way down is relatively big!
This would involve ROV deployment and so on...money money..
Humboldts are good since they come up at night for you to put the tags and then they naturally go down to this oxygen minimum layer where they hang out. why??

eups

Euprymna said:

Why can't a one anaesthetize? If giant squid could be hooked again then why not just rig something up that would inject with something that would put it to sleep then tag it. Let me guess it easier said then done.

ace1422001 said:
Why can't a one anaesthetize? If giant squid could be hooked again then why not just rig something up that would inject with something that would put it to sleep then tag it. Let me guess it easier said then done.

Sounds like a job for Marlin Perkins' poor assistant Jim.... "My assistant Jim will now go and wrestle the tranquilized crocodile into the net. Oh, it looks like the tranquilizer has worn off..." "Having shot the tiger with the dart, Jim will now go poke it with his finger to see if it's completely asleep..." "We've never seen a live colossal squid before, so we've provided Jim with a needle and some tranquilizer that usually works on elephants. Go to it, Jim!"

(see Entertainment and Celebrity News, TV News and Breaking News if you have no idea what I'm talking about)

I know exactally what you're talking about, Monty. I used to be glued to that program everytime it aired. Shame it wasn't continued in another form. Sure, there are plenty of other shows on television(great in their own right) but they're no wild kingdom. :frown:

Ta

How on earth do you keep a gaint squid still while trying to insert a tracker into it!?!?!?!?
"Right, stay! stay!... no, no no!! STAY! goood boooy, well done, who's a big squid!? here's a lollypop. Right off ye go!"

Sounds a bit difficult if you ask me...

RKD

Graeme said:
How on earth do you keep a gaint squid still while trying to insert a tracker into it!?!?!?!?
"Right, stay! stay!... no, no no!! STAY! goood boooy, well done, who's a big squid!? here's a lollypop. Right off ye go!"

Sounds a bit difficult if you ask me...

RKD
Why not pump it full of drugs? Or stun it with eletricty?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back