A day spent fossil hunting - and a success!

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Here's a close up of the last picture:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Melissa said:
Are there tours of the museum?

What is in the jar just behind the drawers? Is that a beak? Beaks?

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm afraid I did not find all of those specimens, (a few were excavated on e-bay) but to my mind finding a small inferior specimen is still much more exciting than buying a stunner. This may sound strange but in my opinion one has a personal connection with things you find, whether they be a fossil, an ancient piece of pottery, an old coin, shrapnel or whatever. I don't mean that in a hippy sense, but in the sense that you are the first person to ever see that fossil, or the first person to see and touch an old coin since it was dropped. It's hard to explain unless you have actually done this yourself....

Melissa said:
Are there tours of the museum?

Sure pop on by...it would be nice to show some of this stuff to anyone interested. None of this stuff is museum quality but I like these things purely because they are interesting!

Melissa said:
What is in the jar just behind the drawers? Is that a beak? Beaks?

Could be....'tis a secret!!!!! It's actually a jar of picked onions. I had a salad for tea tonight and failed to clear my table up before taking the picture. :heee:

I've got a drawer full of trilobites, Cambrian weirdness, echinoderms, eurypterid fragments, a couple of fossil fish, clay pipes and a small collection of WW2 militaria too...but I didn't think anyone would be interested in those. :? Alas, no type-specimens from the Beagle, I'm afraid and none of it is of any monetary value. Should I be admitting this in public?

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
I kinda wouldn't mind a closer look at some trilobites, Cambrian weirdness, echinoderms, eurypterid fragments, a couple of fossil fish, clay pipes and a small collection of WW2 militaria. Especially the first five of those.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Great collection Phil :biggrin2: My fossils sit in cardboard trays in the basement, probably got more dust on them now than when they were out in the desert.

I agree about finding your own, they may not be as nice as the ones in the Ebay formations, but the hunt to me is 99% of the fun. I got out on the desert this weekend, but couldnt quite get where I wanted to go (damn snow), almost got stuck in the mud, (why do they call it a desert?)didnt even get to look for fossils, but it was a great day anyway.

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Phil said:
It's actually a jar of picked onions. I had a salad for tea tonight and failed to clear my table up before taking the picture.

Pickled Onions were a staple of the Ammonites. In fact, current research shows they couldn't have survived the Jurassic without them. :grad:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Here is a close up of the cleaned up specimen of the ammonite Anahoplites, somewhat blurry in the photo above. It would have been coated in mother-of-pearl, a pity it has flaked off in this specimen.

Family: HOPLITIDAE
Subfamily: ANAHOPLITINAE
Species: Anahoplites planus
Measurement : Diameter 40mm
Albian Stage: Middle Albian (105 million years old)

download.php

(Thanks for the loan Mandy, if you read this!)

Latest Posts