A Colder War

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
The wikipedia random button is impressive.... i hit it and koschei (a mythological figure that i was vaguely aware of) came up... this was found through a link in the article:

A Colder War is an alternate history novelette by Charles Stross. It follows a "What If" scenario where the follow-up expedition in Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" has occurred, and inexorably fuses the Cold War and Cthulhu Mythos.

The story appears in "Spectrum SF #3" (Summer 2000), Gardner Dozois's "The Year's Best Science Fiction #18" (2001), "Toast: And Other Rusted Futures" (February 2002), and "Toast" (January 2004). The text can be read online in its entirety here

A Colder War - a novelette by Charles Stross

Haven't read it yet, but i thought i would post it before the possibility of me being engrossed in the story and forgetting about it could take place...

charles stross

Charles Stross has written a number of Mythos tie-in stores, the most notable being The Atrocity Archives in which a cold war type arms race takes place using mythos beasties. At one point during a mayday parade, a covered trailer bearing Cthulhu moves the review stand. I'm sure I read this book online but I haven't found it on his site. There is a sequel The Jennifer Morgue which is more of a spy thriller.

Oddly enough i was just about to post Dark Roasted Blend: Cthulhu Live and Prosper!
which if you scroll down could easily be scenes from the latter parts of the book.

just checked older threads and found one about the jennifer morgue. Guess that's what I get for being out of town so much now.

I'm going to have to check this author out, but only after completing the work I'm currently working on. Incidently, the opening sequence of the Aqua-Force Hunger Team movie was absolutely worth crippling Boston for a day. Features a song performed by Mastodon called "Cut You With a Linoleum Knife". Great stuff, really, but only if you're a fan of the series.

I've never read anything by Stross that I didn't like. I think he's particularly good at making c'thuluesque matters seem, for want of a better word, mundane, i.e. you go to work, punch in, fight the unspeakable horrors from beyond space and time, go home, pick up some pasta on the way......

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back