• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

75G Tank Newbie Tank Build - Advise Appreciated

insidejoke

Hatchling
Registered
Hi guys,
I've been lurking here for awhile doing as much reading as I can as I start the prep work for my first ceph tank. I've been keeping saltwater tanks for the last 3-4 years. Including both reef and fish only tanks. I no longer have any reefs in the house as I've decided I want to starting keep species tanks. I have a Mantis Shrimp set up now and am about to start the build for a 2nd Mantis Tank.
The large tank in the house is being set up as an octopus tank. Something I've wanted to do since the start of saltwater keeping journey and finally feel like I'm ready to jump in.

I have the majority of the parts to start the drilling and plumbing parts of the tank. The only thing I'm still debating on is going with some sort of closed loop in addition to the sump return or go with powerheads to create additional flow.
Any advise on closed loop vs powerheads?

I don't think you need any of that for a ceph tank. Reef tanks need a lot of flow for the coral, and also because there's usually a lot of rockwork which creates deadspots where uneaten food, fish poop and other organic debris can accumulate and rot. In a ceph tank most of your nutrients are coming from what the ceph is eating and the rotten leftovers he doesn't and adding flow won't affect either. Use a few high-quality pieces of live rock, clean up the leftovers and you should be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back