• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

64.4-71.6 Fahrenheit, what octopus?

Hi everybody,
I'm looking for an octopus but don't realy know which one is the best for me :smile: (depending on temperature)

the most important thing is the temperature, the octo has to life in an temp. range of 18-20 degrees celsius.
that's 64.4-71.6 Fahrenheit

i already found some info about the Octopus bimaculoides that says it's a good temp. for the octo.
And also the Octopus vulgaris could be a good choice exept the vulgaris gets realy big

are there any other species for that temperature?
tnx for the reply

I think Octopus rubescens can live in that temp range as well, but Taollan is really the person to ask about that one. I'm not sure what octos from other parts of the world are in this temp range, most of the imported ones in the U.S. are tropical.

O. rubescens does apparently live at those temperatures (I have never personally seen one in that warm of water, but I have done little diving south of Oregon). That being said, make sure the octo was taken from warm waters, I am not sure the northern individuals would be able to adapt, but I should have an answer to that in a few years....

cuttlegirl;127764 said:
:welcome: Why does your octopus have to live in that temperature range? Is your tank at that temperature?

yep and that's because another tank underneath the main tank is a hatchery for S. Officinalis eggs.
Both on the same filtersystem and cooler.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back