• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

55gal. Bimac tank...

AW2EOD

Cuttlefish
Registered
I'm in the process of setting up a 55gal. tank to house a single Bimac. As of tonight, with the work I've done, the tank is now escape proof (even though I've heard these guys are contect in a tank).

Any suggestions from people who are currently keeping any Bimacs?

Hi, and welcome to TONMO.com!

We have a lot of information including a Bimac Care Sheet available on our Ceph Care page (click on Ceph Care above).

You can also look at the Octo Database (click on Octo DB above). We do have a number of people keeping bimacs now, and you can find some of their reports and pics under Journals and Photos in this forum.

And you're welcome to ask specific questions.

Nancy

i myself have just set up a tank for cuttles yesterday, so my new experience may be useful.

Secure a source of and collect food a few days prior to the arrival of you octo and keep it in the sump.

arrange - and possibly glue - the liverock VERY securely, even without a ceph they tend to move and crush things!

Try to get everything in the tank in advance and let the tank run for a week (in addition to cycling) without touching it to make sure it is stable doing regular tests.

Read as much as you can from everywhere and decide for yourself - though collin and nancy are *always* right :lol: - thanks guys ur advice is always great!!!

however you cant really prepare perfectly - something will go wrong but its part of the fun and challenge - thats what this site is for!

GOOD LUCK!!! :heee:

I'm planning to buy my Bimac from octopets.com along with a good supply of food they sell too.

The tank has been running for 2 months, with only live rock in it...just wanted it as stable as possible.

I only have to finish my sump and we'll be good to go...I know about the "surprise problems"...lol. I've got 5 more saltwater tanks running...everything from a 10gal. Mantis tank to a 200gal. predator tank.

:welcome: AW2EOD! Is you sump already set up or are you in the process? Nancy and Collin are the Octo gods of TONMO. If you got a problem or question they will go out of their way to help you out. I love you guys!!!!

Donnie Darko

Welcome to Tonmo...sounds like you did a great job setting everything up...look forward to hearing more!
greg

ddarko66 said:
:welcome: AW2EOD! Is you sump already set up or are you in the process? Nancy and Collin are the Octo gods of TONMO. If you got a problem or question they will go out of their way to help you out. I love you guys!!!!

Donnie Darko

I havent set the sump up, yet...it'll be another month or so before everything is done and I can put in the Bimac.

sounds like ur well experienced and prepared but you should cycle the tank for a while with the sump set up and working along with the tank - after all it is the bacteria in the filter whch need to mature!

Good luck :P

Well...the Bimac has been postponed. :frown:

I needed a tank I have set up, for something else. So, I had to move my Peacock Mantis/Domino Damsel combo into the Bimac tank. Now, it's probably going to be another few months before I can get my Bimac...

But, that's not such a bad thing. It'll give me a chance to get the sump up and running for a while on the 55gal. before the Bimac goes in.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back