• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

30gal

are there any octos that are small enough to be kept in a 30 gal? i currently have a 55gal tank, with a 30 gal sump. but im upgrading my 55 to a 150, and plan on using my 55 as the sum for the 150. that leaves me with the 30...and im dying for an octo...

A dwarf octo (e.g. Octopus mercatoris) would be fine in a 30 gallon.

Pros and cons of keeping O. mercatoris (Atlantic/Gulf pygmy octopus).

Pros:
1. Smaller tank requirements than larger octopuses.
2. Sometimes possible to keep more than one in a tank.
3. Less likely to crawl out of tank than larger octopuses.
4. Eat less than larger octopuses.
5. Lay relatively large eggs. Hatchlings are not cannibalistic or planktonic. (Not true for all species.)

Cons:
1. Nocturnal, but will venture out under red lighting.
2. Less interactive than other octopuses.
3. Limited changes in color/texture compared to diurnal octopuses.
4. Life span may be shorter than larger octopuses.

Links to a couple of octopus journals on TONMO to compare dwarfs (mercatoris) with larger species (briareus, hummelincki, and aculeatus):
1. Trapper’s babies (O. mercatoris) [Octopus Eggs]: - Trapper's Babies - Tank Raised Mercatoris
2. Varys’ babies (O. mercatoris) Varys' babies (O. mercatoris)
3. Kalypso (O. briareus) Kalypso (O.briareus)
4. Octane (O. hummelincki) [Octopus]: - Octane - O. Hummelincki (filosus)
5. Grover (A. aculeatus) Grover

gholland;125800 said:
Sealifeinc.net offers them from time to time. Mantle length on my adult female mercatoris was ~1.5 inches... ~6 inches arm-tip to arm-tip.

Trapper was a special order from Ken(www.sealifeinc.net) . Sometimes he can get them even if he does not have one in stock (his facilities are not well set up for octos and he worries about loosing stock if he keeps them). The website has an email contact page and you can send special requests using the contact form. Telling him I suggested it may or may not be an advantage :sagrin:.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back