• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

30g Nano good enough?

Missnano

O. vulgaris
Registered
im thinking about purchasing a 30g used nano for my octo who I think is a dwarf, but I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm looking at skimmers and proofing it but I had a few questions.

If I wanted to get a bigger octo down the road, could I still use this tank? (Vulgaris, or such).

If I use my water and sand and rock from my established tank, how long until cycling is complete to move Him over to 30g?

Any tips on proofing?

Thanks so much!

No, a 30 gallon tank is only large enough for a dwarf species. IME an O. briareus needs, 60+ and 130+ for O. vulgaris (long vs tall or square for both). A. aculeatus can typically get away with a 50. For all this is for the main tank with an additional sump recommended. Not only does the sump add water volume but octoproofing becomes much easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back