[Octopus]: 2nd try: Kim Jong Un

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
First of all I hope no one is offended by the name and the only reason I named him that is that I have a very bad sense of humour.

So here I am again with my second try. The guy from the LFS told me it was a macropus from Bali. Its about 20cm from armtip to armtip. I'm pretty sure it has all it's arms, but couldn't get a good view so I'm not sure.

I was just acclimating him when after half an hour he went upside down, took the exact same shape as my last octopus Arthur did when he died, turned white and started inking. A lot. So I instantly tried to make him let go of the bucket and into my net so I could put him in the tank, but he wouldn't let go for like 3 minutes. Even though he was holding on to the bucket, he appeared.. dead. He just floated around there, upside down and almost completely white. So after I put him in the tank he kept going like that for a minute as well as inking, and after a minute he held onto a vase. He hasn't moved much, only like 10 cm onto a rock where he is still sitting (for an hour now). I couldn't get hold of the ink in the net so I'm hoping it all went into the filter where I have my carbon. Super stressed out now, but he has gotten his colour back and sits nicely on that rock. Also he is breathing normally.

IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1187.JPG

Taking all tips I can get. Also got myself RO filter now.

Nice name! :wink:

Are you running a protein skimmer? They can help remove ink, as well as the excess organics associated with a cephalopod system. You may want to consider turning the lights in your system off for 24hrs to reduce stress.

From the photos, I would guess that it is more likely a member of the Abdopus complex than Macropus. Most typical seem to be the aculeatus but we have seen a fair number of a smaller, nocturnal animal (unsure of species but likely in the complex) . Good luck to THIS Kim Jong Un (but I'll not wish the same to his namesake).

Nice name! :wink:
Are you running a protein skimmer? They can help remove ink, as well as the excess organics associated with a cephalopod system. You may want to consider turning the lights in your system off for 24hrs to reduce stress.
Yeah, I'm running a protein skimmer. Turned off the light now, thanks.

From the photos, I would guess that it is more likely a member of the Abdopus complex than Macropus. Most typical seem to be the aculeatus but we have seen a fair number of a smaller, nocturnal animal (unsure of species but likely in the complex) . Good luck to THIS Kim Jong Un (but I'll not wish the same to his namesake).
Yeah, it actually does look a lot like Arthur whom I believed to be an aculeatus, both texture and colour.

He seems to like my coconuts and has been hanging out inside these mostly. He also went exploring two days ago which was really cool. The same day he ate a piece of scampi on the first try so I got a smooth start with this one. Yesterday when I was gonna feed him, I checked inside one of the coconuts (which I can see into without moving it) and when I couldn't find him there I thought it was perfectly safe to move the coconut. Apparently he hid in the one blind spot in there so when I lifted up the coconut pretty quickly without considering him being inside, I kinda scared him like hell. So he rushed away and hid under/behind a rock and I haven't seen him since. I've been looking for him (without actually moving the rock) from every possible angle, but I can't find him and he is not in the coconuts. Should I be worried and lift that rock or would that just make it worse? Including today he hasn't eaten in two days.

Attaching some pictures of him exploring
IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1233.JPG

Hello Reggie,
It's very common when your octopus arrives to always want to know where it is. Your octopus seems to be doing OK, so now you need to leave things alone and not move coconuts, rocks or anything else. Your octo can blend in perfectly with its surroundings, so it may take some practice to spot it at all. In the meantime, let him get used to his new surroundings in peace.

Nancy

Hi Reggie,
Glad to see you have another octopus. I did the same thing as you and search all over for Gus. He is so much littler then Bob and I know every nook and cranny of that tank but all of a sudden he is right in front of me. Enjoy!!

You can look for him with your eyes and by doing nothing to startle him. Try sitting by the tank and just observing. You need to develop your "octopus eyes"! If you have a very small crab, you could drop it in. Or try the feeding stick and see if you can lure him out.

Nancy

Update! I found him inside the filter. I'm aware that they can fit in wherever their beak can fit in, but the only way into that filter is through really tiny grills which I actually didn't think he would fit through. I am once again amazed by octopuses. After turning off the filter and emptying it from all kinds of swamps, I today found him inside the green bottle you can see in one of the first pictures (actually I found snail shells covering the entrance and confirmed it by putting food there which he grabbed). Though I know he was there, I have barely seen him for a few sec after I found him so I have no idea if he is hurt considering the filter has a propella. So my question is: how big of a concern is the filter and the circulation pumps? I could cover the pumps with stockings, but that would completely strangle them and leave them with barely any flow. Any ideas? Found this while looking for a picture example of the filter, so think that kind of solved that problem: http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/starstriders/media/IMG_3646_zpsfbf0cf15.jpg.html
So how do you guys handle the flow?
IMG_3888.JPG I have 2x these

Edit: When I give him food by the bottle he takes it in and throws it out again after half an hour. I think he ate some of it, but not much and I gave him half a scampi. Does that sound alright or should he eat more?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back