• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

25 Gal. Cuttlefish Tank, What else?

monty;112478 said:
They sometimes do hit or rub against walls, and sometimes get "butt burn" or other skin lesions. Sometimes, this is just cosmetic, but it can lead to infections. Cylindrical, and to a lesser extent bowfront, tanks seem to reduce this, but it's also sometimes not a problem in plain old rectangular tanks... it's just one more reason why it's nice to give them extra room, though...

This hasn't been much of an issue (if an issue at all) with Sepia bandensis, but is/was a problem with Sepia officinalis. There is still a lot of husbandry information that gets mixed up for both species. :smile: I recommend putting any ceph tank in a low traffic area to avoid startling them, which causes them to jet 'away' from the thing that startled them. It seems that most people with bandensis have done this which is one of the reasons why it might not seem to be a problem.

A 29 gallon tank should be plenty of a bandensis space wise, and I think the real issue with smaller tanks for dwarf cuttles can be water quality in a small system, not injury.

I tried to put him in the place with the least amount of traffic but my room is getting pretty crowded with my bed, desk reef tank and now my Cuttle tank. I am glad to hear that is not an issue with the bandensis! I think I will still try and stack the rock around the side wall of the aquarium so it gives him a little protection. I will also have to tell people to stay out of my room! Is there anything else that i should be considering about this setup?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back