• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

2012 (Old) Forum Software Tips and Tricks

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
robyn said:
Hi Tony and D - thanks for the help so far. I am using Firefox, so nothing uncommon.
For whatever reason that post did not display with the line breaks I had in it.
Let me see if this one is better...
Seems to be - perhaps the IMG tag in the previous one sent it a little strange.
BTW - I just used the 'edit' option to add this extra comment, and it doesn't display anywhere. Another quirk, or just me doing it wrong?

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
robyn said:
Hi Tony and D - thanks for the help so far. I am using Firefox, so nothing uncommon.
Everything looks good from here Robyn... I will say, I ran into a reformatting thing when editing my TONMOCON blog today... had to reinsert all formatting... :mad: The vb folks are working out some bugs... I think we've gone from "chronically unusable" to "functional with more than a few annoyances"... We'll get there... just swim with caution! :smile: And thanks for all the help and for hanging in!!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
robyn said:
Robyn,
Thanks for experimenting!

Comments are new so I guess it would be a good idea to add a new info post on all the functions at the BOTTOM of the posting area. I mentioned quotes but should probably do a paragraph on each item for new and old users. To add a comment, click the comment icon in the bottom tool bar (to the right of edit) rather than using edit. It will pop up a box for text only (no formatting), however, I see Tony was able to manually add smilies so it may be possible to add Bold and other text formats IF you know the pseudo codes. If this works, I will include the list of pseudo codes in the new post.

Note on browsers though. For the last 5 or so years the common browsers do not all support the same formatting so even though you are using a common browser, does not mean that the issue is not browser related. I have to test on a minimum of 3 and usually 4 browsers before I know if a web page will display properly.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Referencing and Editing Existing Posts

Toolbar functions

Below each post is a tool bar related to the individual posting.

Edit (pencil icon)
Members can edit their own posts to make text or attachment corrections or additions or delete the entire post (this may require a minimum number of posts before eligibility). Modifying the original will not modify quoted text in other posts. Clicking the pencil icon will place the original text in the editor where it can be modified or deleted. There is an optional text box to add comments about the reason for the edit.

Staff can edit any post but refrain from doing so except to enhance the member's intent by fixing formatting (typically: photos not displaying, embedding vs linking videos or correcting problems caused by the software).

The last edit date and editing member name will be displayed on edited posts.

Flag (flag icon)

The staff attempts to spot spam (any off topic use of the forum) posts and remove them quickly but occasionally we miss one. Use the flag icon to request that staff review a post that appears to be inappropriate to the forum.

Quote (quote mark icon)

When referencing an earlier post in a thread it is helpful to display the referenced text. BEFORE TYPING ANYTHING to a new post, click the quote mark icon on the referenced post to create a full copy of the text, the TONMO name of the poster and a link to the post. NOTE: clicking the quote mark icon after beginning a new post will erase all typed text. The editor will allow you to modify the quoted material (information between the [QUOTE and \QUOTE] tags) if the entire post is not desired. See Formatting Text, Quotes for an alternate method of including partial text or adding to a post you have already started.

robyn;n339198 said:
Hm paragraph formatting evidently still a work in progress?

Comment (speech balloon icon)

To comment directly on a post other than the original topic entry, click the speeach balloon icon to attach comments directly below a posting. There is no displayed editor for this text area but manually typed formatting tags are honored.

Like (thumbs up icon)

Often it is desirable to acknowledge a post without adding a comment. Use the thumbs up icon to show acknowledgment or positive interest for a post. The number of likes a member receives factors into their ranking.

Referencing from the Editor
From within the editor there are several way to create internal or external references.

Linking (chain icon)
URL's can simply be pasted into the edit window but tend to be disruptive to the post. An alternate method is to highlight the text that is to be the clickable link, clicking the chain icon and pasting the URL into the provided pop-up box.

To reference specific posts, locate the post and click on the post number (upper right corner prefixed with a #). This will present a pop-up with the direct URL highlighed. Right click and copy the link. Paste (or control V) can be used to post it directly or using the chain icon.

To remove a link, highlight it and click the chain icon containing an x

Quoting (manual method)

The editor recognizes manually entered quote formatting.
Copy and paste the desired text to the new post, highlight it and click the quote " icon.

The simplest method will not include a reference to the original poster or the original post. To add the originating member reference:

DWhatley said:
type: =MemberId (ex:QUOTE=DWhatley) after the left QUOTE and before the end bracket (no spaces)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Formatting Text Manually

Occassionally it is desirable to format a small amount of text manually. vBulletin does not accept standard HTML coding but uses its own set of tags to protect the forum and still give basic text manipulation to the end user. vBulletin tag sets are similar to those used with HTML but utilize square brackets in stead of the greater and less than signs.

Listed are the simplest forms that may be handy in correcting errors:
PHP:
Tag sets start with a bracketed keyword [KEYWORD]
End with the same keyword preceded by a forward slash [/KEYWORD]
Text between the begin/end tags are effected by the keyword

Font:  [FONT=ariel]Ariel Text[/FONT]
Size:  [SIZE=18] Size18 text [/SIZE]
Color: [COLOR=#C0C0C0] Gray Text[/COLOR]
Bold:  [B]Bold Text[/B]
Italic:  [I]Italicized Text[/I]
Underline: [U]Underlined Text[/U]
Quote: [QUOTE]Quoted Text[/QUOTE]