• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

#2 (Tuvalu)

Well, 21 days and I just found Tuvalu underneath my Bahama Star. Dead. I was afraid of that... I am considering using it as a frisbee. Stupid of me.

She was doing fine yesterday, no signs of any issues. Water is fine.

That is sad! You think the bahama star ate him or is just cleaning up? Tuvalu was a really cool octopus and you got some good footage of her. Saltwaterfish still has their octopuses on sale so at least that's a plus if you want another Filosus.

I'm pretty sure it ate her. Every single time I fed her there was Mr. Bahama Star trying to climb on top of her. She usually climbed into a crevice somewhere to eat so I imagine she did the same routine, and got trapped. The star is twice as big as she was. I had been looking for her since I got home this afternoon, and I kept noticing the star near her den, in the same place for a couple of hours. I finally decided something wasn't right and picked up the star, and there she was, halfway underneath the rock with a dead crab. There wasn't anywhere for her to go, so again, I'm pretty sure it trapped her and inverted its stomache... *explicit language goes here* I failed her. I remember reading someone elses post about the same thing and thought, "surely there was something wrong with that octopus" but at the same time, I knew the nature of this type of starfish. Geez... taking Mr. Bahama Star to trade in at a LFS sometime this week or maybe put it in the sump at work.

I am going to order another one, probably tonight. But it won't be Tuvalu :frown: *sigh*

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:sad: :angelpus:

I guess there's no obvious way to tell if the star caused the death, or was just being opportunistic.

RIP Tuvalu

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
:cry:
I was afraid to open the post when I notice her name missing. Vicarious watching is not the same as keeping but it is hear felt.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Very sorry about Tuvalu. I know you were very fond of her. RIP Tuvalu:angelpus:

No, you'll never really know, but it's much better to be cautious in the future - not only you, but all our octo keepers.

Nancy