2 O.Mercatoris

FYI the dark spots that show so clearly on all the mercs are their gill hearts.

I believe Tom covers these with his warranty if you want to check on getting a second (shipping is not included).

If the big, ugly crab has a strong pincher, you can either disable or remove it. Many crabs will drop their claws if dangled by them. If you can get it to do this, it is better for the crab's survival should it not be eaten immediately. To disable it break off on section of the upper part of the claw (or remove the full upper section). It will live awhile like this but this method is more damaging to the animal.

Here is a better photo of the biggie. I usually clip off the ends of the male fiddlers w/a big clippers. Ollie usually gets them immediately. Actually this one scares me, I think too much to clip it's pincher. I will have my husband do it tomorrow if you think I should.

100_4862.jpg

100_4864.jpg

I could be incorrect, but I don't think so, most of the guys have similar warranties. You might ask Tom about it when you order crabs again to make it easy to create the credit.

What a woose, the tips of the fiddlers will snap off very easily in your hand and if you hold both sides of the pinchers they can't hurt you in the process (they have very little strength in their pinchers, particularly to open the claw)

Looks like a little blue crab (but CaptFish will know for sure). Knowing me, I would probably try to raise it (I have gotten a few as hitch hikers but they have only lived a few months, never got big enough for Neal to suggest dinner). Ollie will likely thinks it is very yummy.

dwhatley;151808 said:
I could be incorrect, but I don't think so, most of the guys have similar warranties. You might ask Tom about it when you order crabs again to make it easy to create the credit.

I already emaild Tom, I am getting a replacment for the one lost.
What about the big scarey crab??

You really think thats what it is. I was describing it to my brother, that is why I took the photos. I told him it reminds me of the crabs we eat. So I will just let him be.
Zuzu is between the wall and the rocks. I think the barnacles are going to be too small for her to fit inside. I was thinking these dwarfs were going to be much smaller:hmm: Will have to wait and see where she decides to den up. I am sure she will tonight.

i got a crab that looks like that from tom..hes alone in one of my ten gallons..he takes food off a feeding stick =p

dwhatley;151811 said:
We were posting at the same time, see above.

:bonk: ....and I am not as much of a woose as I used to be.

Omega;151813 said:
i got a crab that looks like that from tom..hes alone in one of my ten gallons..he takes food off a feeding stick =p

Why didn't you feed it to your octopus? Are you going to do as "D" and try to grow it out for dinner?

I am really bad about not liking to feed little crabs (I blind myself to fiddlers and they remain as food only). I even rescued 2 of the most unusual decorators that I got from Dana and they are still in my clown/anemone tank doing well. There is another that was never eaten by Maya and Puddles has not found it. It is growing hair algae and looks like some kind of little Star Wars bear critter and I am always happy when I see that it has still escaped detection. When Lynn sent "gimpy" mithrax with OhToo, most just went into other tanks. One of my hitch hikers was a tiny stone crab and it trippled in size before it died.

Once they are eating size, I am less squimish (unless I were to raise one that grew that large) but prefer someone else do the cooking. :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back