2 Nautilus for sale in DC Metro Area

cthulhu77 said:
The ones for sale here seem to come from the Sri Lanka area (probably none this year!) and run about 50 dollars...Christian kept his for over a year, not sure exactly how many months though...
They don't interest me as much as octopus do, for some odd reason, so I have never tried...that, and Shanlyn would flip if I bought a chiller !!!
g

Ah..my friend, they would've 'felt' the wave and went to deeper water before the thing came. The only main loss was the fish farms according to my dad's freinds who was there at that time. The only big "aqua' news was that a shark got washed up into a hotel's swimming pool :shock: . Dunno which country though.

By the way is anyone interested in Humbolt squid videos from National Geographic? I taped some with my digi camera last night. I don't think the NG poeple would mind if I taped it and put it up here, would they?

chrono_war01 said:
Ah..my friend, they would've 'felt' the wave and went to deeper water before the thing came. The only main loss was the fish farms according to my dad's freinds who was there at that time. The only big "aqua' news was that a shark got washed up into a hotel's swimming pool :shock: . Dunno which country though.

By the way is anyone interested in Humbolt squid videos from National Geographic? I taped some with my digi camera last night. I don't think the NG poeple would mind if I taped it and put it up here, would they?

I think National Geographic might mind... That whole pesky copyright thing. Still, I won't tell if you won't. :wink:

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
joel_ang said:
I would love to keep one too but like Matt I don't think its right for nautilus to be in the commercial aquarium trade
Same usually goes for tropical/seawater fishes and corals available in shops. IMHO the only acceptable buy is of animals bred and raised in captivity. It's common for "prospectors" to misinform the locals into depleting their reefs of exotic (read: with high commercial value) species, knowing that they pay them peanuts and of a batch of 20+ fishes perhaps 3 will survive long enough to be sold to enthusiastic aquarists. As much as bomb fishing is used by locals to get fish to eat/sell, cyanide fishing (almost as deadly to the reef as dynamite) is specifically designed for the export of live reef fishes. As much as I love "Finding Nemo", i cringe when i see that every SW tank in shops have a Nemo and a Dory... and it works!

Mmmmm... here i go again... :hmm: better stop before i alienate even more people than my weekly quota allows :lol:

TPOTH

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
From my casual observations of the nautilus threads--that is, my opinion without actually investigating--it seems like success keeping them in captivity depends more upon the hardiness of the individual nautilus rather than most particulars of the aquarium environment.

Dan

So, I'm gonna post the Humbolt videos on my web site and hopfully NO-ONE tells NG. :roll: I know who you are. Oh and if you say that the nautilus eats lobster shells, do they have a really sharp beack or something?

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
I'm just curious, how do nautilus catch their food, on the site it says the nautilus will eat from your hand, I'm trying to picture o what that would be like.

rickil

Hatchling
Registered
Feeding Nautilus

I feed mine by hand. 'He' usually is hanging onto the side of the tank. All I need to do is touch the food to the water. He must smell it, because with that he turns and swims towards the food. He will wrap his tentacles around it and take it to his mouth. With that, he starts rocking his whole bottom until the food is gone. His tentacles are very sticky, when I first feed him, his tentacles would sometimes stick a little to my finger. Now, that hardy ever happens, he must be able to control the sticky-ness.

rcl

O. vulgaris
Registered
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing your experiences rikil. I can't say this doesn't make me interested in keeping the guys at some point :smile:

How long do nautilus live for? Has yours grown rapidly while under your care?

Robert

Latest Posts