• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

1914 Scientific literature on Giant Squid

Clammer

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,

I am a freshwater mussel biologist in Tennessee. So why am I at a cephalopod site?

While reviewing some literature for a document I am preparing (about mussels) I found something interesting I just had to pass along to some of my fellow biologist-types.

In: The Nautilus (periodical) v28, 1914 p22-23

There is a brief article titled "Another Giant Squid in Monterey Bay" describing a giant squid that "weighed close to 500 pounds" that was caught by some fishermen.

Following this article is another titled "Large Squid on the Oregon Coast" which describes a lighthouse keeper's wife in Newport, OR discovering a giant squid washed ashore, the article states the wife called her husband and the assistant light keeper and the 2 men gaffed the live (???) squid and pulled it ashore then killed "the monster". The squid was described: Tentacles were 7 feet long, the body was 28 inches, body proper was over 6 feet long, making it over 16 feet from tip to tip, It had a diamond shaped tail 27 inches across.

I know virtually nothing about giant squid (aside from what I've seen on Discovery Channel). I thought it would be in the spirit of furthering scientific research to share this information with a group that may be interested.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blam

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak