• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

150 gallon tank, Any Suggestions?

If you're concerned about the live rock cost, make sure you think through how much it'll cost to *feed* an octo... they eat a lot! Since you're in FL, maybe you can catch your own food for free, but otherwise keep that in mind.

The food is not a problem, it's the 300 pounds of live rock. With 8 dollars a pound, I'll have to pay $2400 dollars. Not to mention the cost of gas.

I do remember a fishing trip when we went to a reef, I might be able to collect from the lagoon if I got a permit. But I might be bringing something into the tank. I don't want a mantis to kill the octopus or have a colony of Apstasian Anemones.

Could I have a huge part of a tank just like a bed of seaweed? I would have to update the lights but It would save a lot of money. I'm just not sure that it would be as good as having more live rocks.

Unless I am mistaken, FL ended all legal collection of natural live rock some years ago. I believe this includes rock for personal use even in unprotected areas but I could be mistaken.

Yes, I talked about it to my mom right after the last post because she just got a collectors license and she told me the same thing. I might be able to make some sort of deal with the LFS.

These are the components that they say every tank needs at Tampa Bay Saltwater

1 pound per gallon Live Sand.
1 Serpent or Brittle star per 50 gal.
2 pounds per gallon Live Rock.
2 Tiger Tail Cucumbers per 50 gal.
1 Blue Leg Hermits per gal.
1 Peppermint shrimp per 50 gal.
1/2 Turbo Snail per gal

2.00 at live aquaria.com. This is the best deal so far but it is only for the foundation rock but I don't need it to be fancy and have it look incredibly nice yet. I can throw in some rocks with Coraline algae later while it is cycling.

Liveaquaria.com also recomended less than TBS. They recomend 1-1/4 lbs per gallon to 1-3/4 lbs per gallon. This will cost $450 instead of $2400 from the LFS.

I still have to get that 450. There are plenty of odd chores around this house. I already have 175. That means that I have $235 to go.

Live sand is 1 lb per gallon at 2.00 at TBS (Tampabaysatwater.com). That means that I have to get 150 lbs. So that is another $300 added to my $235 making $535. I may be able to get a better deal but I don't think I will.

1.5 to 2 is the correct recommendation. Where in FL are you? There are numerous rock farmers that charge less than $8/pound for excellent rock but shipping is expensive (it should go overnight) and brings the cost per pound to at least double the selling price. If you are close enough to one of them pick it up your costs will be considerably less.

I webmaster for this site: http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=9213cd1f8aa1c3cea8b7a70b190ebe61
and can promise Ken has excellent quality rock (you can also check some of the reef forums for similar recommendations of his cultured rock). He is located in the keys and I have no idea how bad the shipping would be to your location. I know there is another rock farmer in Tampa but can't help with a name or link.

Edit: I just saw the rest of your posts. You DO NOT NEED LIVE SAND but most people do not want a bare bottom tank so an inch to and inch and a half of argonite sand (not live, about $35 worth or about 50 pounds) will do nicely and help keep your nitrates lower without building poisonous gasses (stir weekly while you do your water change). The cuc would not do well in the thinner substrate and should not be part of your clean-up crew if you opt for the thinner sand bed (there is some debate about not including cucumbers in the tank at all). The rest of the recommendations look reasonable (there are alternatives but you have to start somewhere and the list is quite usable). I would only include two peppermint shrimp even though they are likely to ultimately get eaten, they will keep aptasia under control (they do not seem to eat the larger ones but keep the tank free of small ones). Since your mother is now a licensed collector (envy), I am assuming you have the opportunity to collect a lot of your own clean up crew so the types of snails and hermits can vary accordingly. Do not, however, add fish to the assortment. It sounds like this is going to be a fun tank for a long time!

I would be careful about the base rock as much of what is titled base rock is pretty dead. Ken's is far more alive than most since it comes from the same farm but be careful if you choose another supplier or use an LFS (our first live rock purchase was anything but live and you will see many others who have started this way so know your supplier). For looks, you might want to add a few pounds of the more decorative stuff even if you go with Ken's rock. I still find new things growing even after several years. If you do work with Ken, mention my name. It probably won't get you anything special (much) but at least he will know my Cephalopod group hears a plug every now and again :tongue:

FYI, you can place an "order" for live rock on the site that will generate a request for quote and not commit you to a purchase. When Ken returns from his vacation (next week) he will give you a couple of options for shipping in the quote. You can tell him you are not quite ready to buy yet but that I suggested that you submit a RFQ to help determine your costs. If you can make it down there by car, you can usually arrange a meeting for pickup, depending on his dive schedule and other commitments (he does not have a regular store front operation).

^ that site rocks. i ordered a few items from there and got almost double what i ordered. ordered 1, shipped 2. ordered 5, shipped 8. ect. and all the reviews on the site pretty much said the same thing. i was happy. :cheers:

You blew my cover! Now Chaostheory will know that my name is worthless! Yes, Ken does usually pad an order a little when stock is not low (due to bad weather or high demands on his time for the reef restoration projects). Since DOA's are rare, it is good advertising and keeps happy customers (and webmasters). Of course I would have been happier if you said the site rocks because stuff is easy to find and simple to use :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back