• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

10 gallon tank?

davec15

Cuttlefish
Registered
hey im new to this web site i have been interested in squid since i was four years old but any way i was wondering if a ten gallon tank would be big enough for 2 to 3 cuttle fish or will i have to get a bigger tank?

Welcome to TONMO!

Even for dwarfs, 10 gallons is too small, though it might not be bad for hatching and raising babies, over just a short couple of months they will need much more space. We recommend at least a 30 gallon tank for an individual specimen. 55 and up for multiples. The dwarf cuttles can grow to around 4~5 inches.

They need lots of space to swim around, and even in bigger tanks, can sometimes frantically bump into things and injure themselves if startled. Also, they are very messy and between eating and using the bathroom, 10 gallons of water would get really gross really fast.

There's a lot of great information in this forum as well as the Articles

:welcome: to TONMO, and yeah, what they said (you've gotta be quick on the draw to get in the first answer today, apparently :biggrin2: )

You can always check Craigslist and search online for your local marine aquarium society. Most aquarium societies have forums where they post used equipment for sale for cheap.

I usually try to keep out of these sorts of threads, but here goes:

A ten gallon saltwater/reef tank is almost impossible to keep for any length of time. Yes, it has been done. It has also ended up with the deaths of countless animals that would have thrived in a larger aquarium.

Saltwater animals are much more dependent on high water quality than are freshwater animals, who often live in muddy puddles. You can not replicate the purity of ocean water in a ten gallon aquarium unless you are constantly changing the water.

Cephalopods are far ranging creatures, and mentally need a good bit of room to keep from going stir crazy. Remember, when you keep an animal in a cage, you are essentially its jailer.

I tend to recommend a 50 gallon tank as the very smallest to keep a ceph in. A 125 is a much better proposition.

Used tanks have often been treated with copper, and you can not get rid of its influence on the water quality. To be safe, you should always purchase a new tank, or a tank from a dedicated reef keeper.

Sorry if this comes over as a rant, I do not mean it to be that way.

Greg

cthulhu77;121762 said:
Remember, when you keep an animal in a cage, you are essentially its jailer.

I like to think of us (fishheads) as caretakers vs. jailer.... in any case, i can vouch that my animals get fed better than me.... just like to be positive :biggrin2:

AquaForce;121768 said:
I like to think of us (fishheads) as caretakers vs. jailer.... in any case, i can vouch that my animals get fed better than me.... just like to be positive :biggrin2:

If you took your pet out into it's natural element, and it returned to the tank...then, perhaps, it would be a case of caretaking. If it bolts to the reef, then you are a jailer.

hey thanks for the idea i live in boothbay so the maine state aquarium is nearby but i dont know if i can volinteer cause im only 15 but ill try

I just looked on the page for the aquarium at the DMR and They do have a volunteer position for someone your age: Junior Docent Volunteers. You probably wouldn't be able to do it this summer, but if not you could apply for next year.
http://www.state.me.us/dmr/rm/aquarium/jobs.htm

I don't think they have any cephs there. It's mostly about coastal Maine stuff, so heavy on the lobsters. But they are pretty neat too. And fun to poke at right after they've molted, all squishy and too weak to pinch.

erin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back