• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

“Giant Florida Octopus?”

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Definitely looks vulgaris with nothing unusual. I only mentioned O. maya because I could not be sure I did not see an eye spot and they look very, very similar. On the other hand most octopuses can look alike for short periods of time. My guess is that it is an adult vulgaris, nothing special and likely not to live much longer (life span of US variety seems to be roughly 18 months -- the first couple are spent as plankton).

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
I did not chime in sooner because I don’t know as much about the different species as D. But, vulgaris seems like the only choice if it was caught in Florida…. I don’t have a lot of experience identifying them though, so I was hoping more about our southern folks would know.

I did not chime in sooner because I don’t know as much about the different species as D. But, vulgaris seems like the only choice if it was caught in Florida…. I don’t have a lot of experience identifying them though, so I was hoping more about our southern folks would know.
Well I think it’s safe to say unless you see it in person it’s hard to ID one. I’m still not sure if it’s a common. It’s resting color is a red not brown it has some brown on it but it doesn’t look like any common octopus I’ve seen. I know they all have the capability to change color and sometimes texture but this one seems to have a marbling pattern as well.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Well I think it’s safe to say unless you see it in person it’s hard to ID one. I’m still not sure if it’s a common. It’s resting color is a red not brown it has some brown on it but it doesn’t look like any common octopus I’ve seen. I know they all have the capability to change color and sometimes texture but this one seems to have a marbling pattern as well.
Either way, $500 is a LOT for an octopus, with or without an ID!

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blam

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak