• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

“Giant Florida Octopus?”

Please if anyone has any ideas of what it might be but the fact that the day they got it in they told us it was suppose to have gone to a zoo might also be an indicator it's a GPO but need someone who has expertise in identifying species. Thought I would've received more feed back on this...

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I have to suspect lack of response is at least in part because no one has ever heard of such a species. I think GPO is a safe bet!

I have to suspect lack of response is at least in part because no one has ever heard of such a species. I think GPO is a safe bet!
That’s why I am asking because clearly that’s NOT what this animal is but I also don’t think it’s a GPO either the color seems wrong I would think it would be more of a red or uniform red this seemed to have some shade of red but was diluted with brown...

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Hmm, this article that octobot just spotted debates whether the featured ceph is a GPO or a Maori octopus (Macroctopus maorum) -
Well out of frustration I reached out to someone at Monterey Bay Aquarium and they said it's most likely a common. Thanks for the help.
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
that was my first thought, since that is usually the florida answer, I just didn't think it looked like a vulgaris, but I'm no expert :wink: - thanks for providing closure here.

SamB2

Hatchling
Registered
Would you mind saying where the the LFS is? Princeton University's biology department is currently researching claims of a new warm water species of octopus in the Caribbean Sea/Gulf of Mexico area. Maybe it's possible your LFS stumbled upon it? Maybe you could help in unraveling a mystery!!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Sorry to be so late to the party. I would be very comfortable with suggesting that it O. vulgaris (ie the "common" Octopus). They are in every ocean but our US animals tend to be smaller than their Mediterranean cousins. If it has a brown eye spot, then O. Maya a similarly sized animal being aquaculture of the Yucatan coast and possibly now in Argentina.

Sorry to be so late to the party. I would be very comfortable with suggesting that it O. vulgaris (ie the "common" Octopus). They are in every ocean but our US animals tend to be smaller than their Mediterranean cousins. If it has a brown eye spot, then O. Maya a similarly sized animal being aquaculture of the Yucatan coast and possibly now in Argentina.
Thanks for the response, and I’m not too sure based on the post above about the possibility of it being a new species since the shop said this isn’t the first they’ve received, but the second one. I didn’t screen shot all of the email thread but in searching online I also asked if it could be this too. I didn’t see an eye spot but Jim from MBA in the ceph department had asked if it did and if so why was it in Florida, although the Gulf includes that area. We’ll continue to check it out and are still wanting to get it if we can but if it’s a common it’s way too overpriced.

Would you mind saying where the the LFS is? Princeton University's biology department is currently researching claims of a new warm water species of octopus in the Caribbean Sea/Gulf of Mexico area. Maybe it's possible your LFS stumbled upon it? Maybe you could help in unraveling a mystery!!
Shop is here in San Bernardino, CA but the octopus was caught off of Florida. That’s as much as the shop knows other than the supplier calling it a “Giant”. They did also say it was the second one they’ve received in the time the shops been open and that this one in particularly was suppose to go to a zoo.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug B

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak